From the Greats: Mozart

14 May 2015 Unknown 0 Comments

It's been a while since i've done a book appreciation post. I think when I first started this blog in November I did one, but I haven't since then. Of course, you could count the whole months of January and February as a book appreciation post about Creativity Inc.

Today I'm going back to the book The Creative Process edited by Brewster Ghiselin from the direct words of some of our worlds greatest creative geniuses.

Mozart explained his creative process and it's quite fascinating.

He explains how he hears in his mind the whole work. He doesn't hear the different instruments separately, but just all together. And he hears or imagines the whole thing from beginning to end. When he goes to write it down, it's rarely changed from exactly how it was in his head. And he says he can do it fairly quickly.

He doesn't try to make his works Mozartish. He suspects that they are that way for the same reasons that his nose is different from everyone else's or why it's Mozartish. "For I really do not study or aim at any originality."

His words are profound in their simplicity and his genius. They're inspiring.

The type of home-schooling education that me and my wife follow is called a Classical Education which involves lots of reading the classics. So, instead of reading about Mozart or Einstein, read Mozart's and Einstein's own words. I'm telling you this because I'm not doing justice to how Mozart describes his creativity, so go read it yourself to get the most out of his genius!

What makes your work yours?


0 comments :

Hey there, thanks for leaving a comment. You're a good person