Creativity is bipolar

12 November 2014 Unknown 0 Comments

What does it mean to be creative?

That's the question we're exploring here. When I say creativity I mean sustained creativity. Meaning, a pattern of long-term creativity. I'm not exploring how to have one-off brilliant ideas (which do happen and are creative). We might get into that, but what I'm really interested in is how do you consistently be creative and innovative throughout your life or throughout the life of your company.

From my un-scientific research thus far, I have one guiding idea:

Creativity has two parts and when used in separation they will eventually run out of juice. I call those two parts art and engineering.

Art is what we typically think of as creativity, but as a software engineer I've found that it requires some technical creativity.

Why will art and engineering run out of juice over the long haul and lose creativity when not balanced together?

Well, that's kind of what I want to find out. I've got some ideas that I'll be sharing here, but hopefully this is a journey of discovery that I'll be able to take with you.

If you want to come along with me, let me know in the comments where you're starting from. What do you think and know about creativity that could help us?

0 comments :

Hey there, thanks for leaving a comment. You're a good person